A fortified building with high stone walls; it was constructed with the purpose of protecting the entrance to the port. Its position at the top of the hill known as Cerro de Montevideo affords an exceptional view of the city.
In the colonial style, it is the work of a military engineer, José del Pozo y Marquy. The lighthouse and lookout post were built in 1801 and the fortress in 1802-1809.
Exterior and interior shots
Montevideo Locations Office